Monday, March 19, 2007

Ventriloquists

One of my favourite ventriloquists (actually THE favourite) Jay Johnson was talking on his blog last month about the backstabbing nature of "vents" He also makes reference, somewhere in there about an old "vent" saying that goes something like

"Get two magicians together and you've got a convention, get two ventriloquists together and you've got a fight"

I know what he means but it seems the same negative aspect of the way "vents" conduct themsleves could ACTUALLY be applied to magicians TOO. Similarily , magicians might employ the same adage the other way around.

As Jay points out most of this backstabbing comes from the internet forums. I personally don't look at the magic forums anymore. The negative tasete those sites eventually leave in my mouth have made them impossible to look at. I have NEVER looked at the ventriloquist forums. I suppose I have been lucky in the sense that I have only ever looke upon ventriloquism as a way to entertain an audience andnot tried to use it as a way to gain respect from piers. With magic on th eother hand, I have gone through phases where acceptance from the larger community seemed attractive. These days I don't give a monkey's. I try my best to stay away from the mindless, boring conversation that one usually sees on these forums.

I suspect that Jay doesn't give a monkey's either....or rather a monkey's joke.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home