Monday, April 24, 2006

Reactionary Experiment


It seems to be very easy to bash David Blaine (on the internet) but almost impossible to defend him. Most of the people who choose the former and excersise such rights on the various magic forums have their reasons. I guess that jealousy is the main one. Or rather and more specifically jealous that the guy has managed to become an icon without being particularly skilled or creative. Firstly I don't agree with either and what is more I believe Blaine to have transcended skill, creativity, iconic status and stardom. Look, I am not talking about the odd bit of satire here I am talking about the constant, lame, boring old bash for the sake of bashing mentality

I suppose I could write an essay about why I think that Blaine bashing is wrong but to be honest I know that the bashers wouldn't listen, neither would they understand. So, instead I have decided to design an experiment to investigate just how hard it is to be David Blaine. To explore (albeit in a tiny way) the difficulty that exsists in creating and above all MAINTAINING a character like this despite not being able to do a bottom deal and using stooges etc. This experiment, which is about the best effort I can personally offer(given my lack of resources) is to prove how serious and astonishing Blaine really is. It involves a David Blaine 'style' test of endurance.

I have decided to go on a (modest) 5 DAY FAST. Now I appreciate that this does not come anywhere near the massive and successfull 44 DAY Blaine effort but it's a good start.

So there you go. I am not going to go on about it I am just going to do it. Put myself through that endurance just to show how difficult it is and hopefully prove in some SMALL way (by indulging in a SMALL aspect of the Blaine phenomena and repertoire) that this guy is way more serious and solid that any of the bashers would ever give him credit for. At the same time I get to be LIKE him for 5 days. An experience which many of those green eyed bashers would give anything to experience

Before I sign this off however I should just let you all know that I am safe. I have done 24 hour fasts in the past and I have researched the health aspects already. I am actually banking on feeling physically great for most of the time. It's the psychology that suffers and it is the very fact that Blaine managed to overcome this that makes him such a solid entertainer.

I will also continue my regular excersise pattern which at the moment is 'quite' hard. It includes about 2 hours of power walking a day. I also intend to drink coffee. Not in huge amounts but just as normal. This currently stands at about 4 cups a day. I will of course Drink Water and maybe diet soft drink. I am still undecided on that.

I will report on this fast at the beggining of each of the five days. If I break it I promise to tell you! I have given my wife strict instructions to log on to this blog write a post about my bailing it and then change the password so I can't log on and delete it.

If anyone wants to join me in this as a personal test of their own endurance let me know via email. fasting can be a very enlightening and up lifting experience in itself. I wuld love to do this with loads of other people and get sopme publicity as the 'Anti Blaine Bash Movement'


PS i am having some problems posting on my blog. All I can publish is edits to exsisting posts. I am writing this as 8.45pm. I may not be able to post for a while until I get this fixed up. Suffice to say I am still on the fast....and I'm starving. Chao.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home