Monday, April 23, 2007

The Importance Of Being Flash Paper


Tonight I did a quick hour of roving at Yarra Yarra Golf Club.

Since I did a 50th birthday there earlier last year they have had me back 7 times to do one thing or another. The club is hidden among glades in Bentleigh and was recently re -furbished. I also did the opening in February. the crods are always fantastic. I find that the audiences at yarra really respect professionalism.

Tonight was a little bash for some of their corporate members and I was milling during pre- dinner drinks in their wonderful new members bar. I was booked from 5.30 until 6.30 to enteratain as people finshed up golf and got into the free plonk. I also realised during this time how imprtanat Flash Paper is. As part of my on going efforts to downsize I decided to remove FP from my roving all together. The gigs I did over the weekend went just fine without it but tonight I realised there was a difference. With those previous three night's worth of engagements I had already established myself with a stage spot during which I was doing ventriloquism. I did very LITTLE magic in the second part of thsoe shows but rather just mingled with people and did a few solid card tricks but really just joining the party as an fairly interesting 'paid' guest. Tonight I was doing JUST roving for the first time in a while outside of doing some stand up too. Although I went down great for the fun blokes at Yarra Yarra as I always do (and gave out 23 buniness cards which I had counted before leaving the house) I did feel, as I said to Joanne on my arrival home, that I could have done with some FP. Jo quite rightly pointed out that what I meant was I needed a bit of pizzaz. She's was right.

I also made a point of doing two of the effects from my up coming lecture DVD tonight and one of them is at a real loss without FP which I noticed as I was doing it.

I told my friend the magician Nick Morton who is producing my DVD, that he had to refuse to allow me to make anymore alterations to effects for this DVD. The shoot date set for next Monday.

For anyone interested in knowing what I have decided to put on there. With only two exceptions the material is very easy. I will give you the run down in a bew post at some point soon. I am explaining my cups and balls (with all the cute bits where I hide the bal l under my arm) for the first time but the Card to Pocket routine will remain a mystery for a while longer. I write that as a few people have asked me if I was going to incude it. Sorry but no.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home